1 November 2013

Coiled Rose Crochet Pattern

I wanted to make some crocheted flowers for a scarf I'm working on (yes, another) so was having a play and came up with the sweetest little coiled roses.


Aren't they pretty?  So easy peasy lemon squeezy too.

Want to see how I made them?


(Using English terminology.)

Leaving a tail of approximately 6 inches, chain 21 (20 and 1 for turning).
Row 1 : Starting in the second chain from the hook, work 2dc in each chain to the end of the row (40).
Turn.
Chain 3.
Row 2 : Work 2tr in each stitch to the end of the row (80).

Tease your work into the desired rose shape with the beginning at the centre (you'll find it should want to naturally coil because you're making it top heavy, so to speak).

Now poke your starting tail through the middle and tug quite firmly.

Secure your ends.

That, my dear friends, is it!

The smaller pink rose was made in a similar way but with a starting chain of 11 (10 and 1 for turning) and I worked 2htr in each stitch, rather than 2tr, in row 2.

You could have fun playing around with the size of your finished rose by beginning with more or less chains, or using a different sized hook, (I used 4mm for these).

I daresay there may be similar patterns out there in the ether but, as with all my tutorials to date, feel free to do with it what you will but please direct all credit and adulation my way! ;-)

By the way, I used the 'medium fat bottomed leaf pattern' from here for my leaves.

Why are you still here?  Go grab your hook and pimp some woollies ..!

xxx

For my US friends …

UK dc = US single crochet
UK htr = US half double crochet
UK tr = US double crochet

28 comments:

  1. So love your writing style. Fun,straight and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a lovely thing to say, thank you Linda. x

      Delete
  2. Love ya! I am going to try this tonight. Sleeping in the lounge tonight while our VILE VILE bedroom is finally being plastered so shall enjoy a little sofa bed action......involving nout but crochet!!!!!
    Lovely. Just hope I can fathom the leaves too......
    Hope you are well beauty. I am...........well heavy. Hurting a bit when I walk. YIKES!!
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are just sweet as can be! I will bookmark these for next time I'm looking for a cute rose. Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers are ever so charming, and your crochet hook is the nicest I've ever seen. No doubt you have other hooks with different-coloured handles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hook is a Tulip Etimo - each size is a different shade of pink, Mise. Squeal! They're actually the best hooks I've ever tried; they glide through wool like a knife through butter. x

      Delete
  5. What a lovely idea, that's for sharing! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty and, yes, easy peasy, thanks so much for sharing - love your soft gentle colours too. Right, I'm off … ….
    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe how simple they are, thanks for sharing as I've never found a pattern but always liked them.
    I must add you to my sidebar so I don't miss your posts, can't believe not been here for so long as your blog is lovely.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever you -they're perfect. I'm now desperately thinking about what I can put flowers on !
    Have a good weekend,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What cute little flowers you've made!
    Jille xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh they're lovely...I'm new to crochet, but I'm going to have a go at these. Thank you for sharing. Sarah xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a clever, yet simple idea ... those roses look adorable ... thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, these are just the most darling little roses!!! Heather, you come up with the cutest things! Thanks for the great instructions too. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your precious roses! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these, especially the nice and easy way they come together in the end without all that tedious sewing into place. I'm definitely going to give them a whirl! Thanks for the pattern :)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are lovely. The crochet flowers I've made before were a real faff to sew together, these look a lot simpler, so thanks! I may have to make some and glue gun them to hair slides to go inside party bags. :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are adorable! I love making flowers and will do some of these today. Thanks for the pattern. I found your blog this morning and will come back daily! I make a ton of scarves and hats every year, also. They are easy and a portable project. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing, so pretty :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty! Oh, and I've been meaning to say I love your fruity scarf you blogged about recently - I am very tempted to completely copy you! I am working on a stripy blanket at the moment, and am also sewing the ends in as I go... and yes, it does make me feel rather smug!!! It's going to make a massive difference when I get to the end and don't have that dastardly task ahead of me...
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh they are so cute Heather....thank you for sharing them :)
    Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are really pretty and different to most other crochet flowers I've seen before. Thanks for taking the time to share the pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. they are so pretty! Love the colours you chose too x

    ReplyDelete
  21. i definatley will grab a hook! the look beautiful! thanks for sharing!
    i´ll be back!
    pami

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm in the US and am wondering if the stitches would be the same? If not, could you please give me the US equivalents? Thanks. LOVE these flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, Susan.

      UK dc = US single crochet
      UK htr = US half double crochet
      UK tr = US double crochet

      Hope helps! x

      Delete
  23. Very pretty, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  24. Están bellas las utilizo para aplicaciones en Ropita para mi nieta.... Gracias por compartir

    ReplyDelete
  25. j'adore vos modèles de crochet!!! merci!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Anyone ever told you that you're a peach? xx

Followers